The Tannahill Weavers will bring their mystical and dynamic Celtic music to the Sleder’s “On the Porch” Concert Series Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 7 p.m. The Tannahill Weavers are one of Scotland’s premier traditional bands now entering their 51st year. Their diverse repertoire spans the centuries with fire-driven instrumentals, topical songs, and original ballads and lullabies. Their music demonstrates to old and young alike the rich and varied musical heritage of the Celtic people. These versatile musicians have received worldwide accolades consistently over the years for their exuberant performances and outstanding recording efforts that seemingly can’t get better, yet continue to do just that. For this tour they are joined by piper Mike Katz of Battlefield Band fame, one of the best pipers and biggest personalities in the Scottish piping scene.
More About the Tannahill Weavers
Born of a session in Paisley, Scotland and named for the town’s historic weaving industry and local poet laureate Robert Tannahill, the group has made an international name for its special brand of Scottish music, blending the beauty of traditional melodies with the power of modern rhythms. Over the years the Tannies have been trailblazers for Scottish music, and their tight harmonies and powerful inventive arrangements have won them fans from beyond the folk and Celtic music scenes.
Since their first visit to the United States in 1981, the Tannahills’ unique combination of traditional melodies on pipes, flute and fiddle, driving rhythms on guitar and bouzouki, and powerful three and four part vocal harmonies have taken the musical community by storm. In 2018, the Tannahill Weavers celebrated their 50th anniversary with the release of their eighteenth album, Òrach (“golden” in Gaelic). As The Tannahill Weavers move onward in 2019, they are firmly established as one of the premier groups on the concert stage, from reflective ballads to foot stomping reels and jigs, the variety and range of the material the perform is matched only by their enthusiasm and lively Celtic spirits.
Reviews of the Tannahill Weavers’ Album, Òrach
- “An especially eloquent mixture of the old and the new.” New York Times
- “Formed from a Paisley pub session in 1968, seminal trailblazers the Tannahill Weavers now also rank as national treasures.” Glasgow Celtic Connections 2018
- “…their great humour and superb musicianship make them one of the finest bands on the circuit” Rogue Folk Review
- “The music may be pure old time Celtic, but the drive and enthusiasm are akin to straight ahead rock and roll.” Winnipeg Free Press
Tickets for the Tannahill Weavers –
On Sale Now SOLD OUT
$20 in advance | $25 at the door
- Sleder’s Tavern, 717 Randolph St., Traverse City, MI 49684
- Oryana Food Coop, 260 E Tenth St, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Brilliant Books, 118 E Front St, Traverse City, MI 49684
- For more info or to reserve tickets by phone with a credit card ($1 surcharge), call Sleder’s at 231-947-9213.
- Seating is limited, so advance ticket purchase is recommended.
- Pre-show dining encouraged.